The Courage to Change

One of the most powerful characteristics about humankind is the fear and unwillingness to allow change in our lives. This is even where the person sees quite clearly that this change is for only the most positive of reasons. It actually takes courage to permit ourselves, or allow others, to contribute to us in order to enact any change.

Our minds are far more powerful than most of us give it credit. Now couple this with a mindset of “I’ll do it my way. After all, I’ve been doing it my way for most, if not all, of my life”. This mantra (we can actually call it that), becomes the rationale to justify our position, hence sabotage any degree of support from those who attempt to offer this support to us. The excuses, rationalizations and stories we tell ourselves seem to be adequate justification to the mind in the avoidance of change.

Raising the necessary courage is coupled with the lowering of our ego. (Remember the “I’ll do it my way. After all, I’ve been doing it my way for most, if not all, of my life”.) I know that many of us pride ourselves on getting things done when the odd-makers tell us “nay”. Yet, I also believe that considerable ego is attached to sabotage the contribution from others.

What I am afraid we have left out in our pursuit, is the understanding of the other party's intention. This would be what is referred to as ‘empathy’, defined as ‘the capacity for participating in another's feelings, ideas or point of view’.

I had met a man, unlike most others on this planet, whom I believed I could both learn from and teach. This learning and teaching reciprocity could have gone far beyond each of our individual career endeavors. Sadly,this opportunity never took place. We met years later and as we spoke over a fine bottle of wine, we each recognized that it was our fear of change, and our own egos, that had prevented this opportunity from taking place at that time.

I view the courage to change, and the support from others, to enact opportunities for personal and career growth in our lives, as a most powerful point of view.

With great respect,
Len

Len Merson,
Founder, C.E.O.
Chaos Over, Inc.

1-88-VERY CALM (Toll Free line)
619.980.7372 (Direct line)
619.291.1709 (Facsimile line)
Lmerson@chaosover.com

No comments: